Other plan benefits and features
Out-of-area student coverage
Students attending school outside the FCHP service area may not have easy access to the plan provider network. They are covered for a limited number of services while out-of-area, if authorized in advance by the plan. You must work with your PCP to get prior authorization. These services include:
- Nonroutine medical office visits
- Diagnostic lab and X-ray connected with a nonroutine office visits
- Nonelective inpatient services
- Outpatient services to diagnose and/or treat mental conditions
- Speech therapy
- Short-term rehabilitation services, including physical and occupational therapy are covered for up to 60 visits combined in each calendar year (combined with any in-area visits).
Aside from emergency care, the services listed above are the only services that are covered for students on an out-of-network basis. To be covered, all other services must be obtained when they return to the FCHP service area.
Services that are not covered for students while out of the FCHP Select Care service area include:
- Routine physical, gynecological exams, vision screening and hearing screening
- Routine preventive care
- Nonemergency prescription medication. Students may use a network pharmacy or the prescription medication mail-order program to fill medication refills. (See Prescription medication.)
- Second opinion
- Chiropractic care services
- Home health care
- Outpatient surgical procedures that could be delayed until return to the FCHP Select Care service area
- Maternity care or delivery
- Durable medical equipment (e.g., wheelchairs), including maintenance or replacement
In addition to providing health care coverage for our members, FCHP offers a variety of resources and wellness features for members who want to take an active role in their health care.
- Disease care services support members who have chronic conditions like asthma, congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease and diabetes.
- Eyewear discounts from contracted vendors
- It Fits! reimburses eligible FCHP members for participating in a variety of healthy activities: membership at local fitness centers, aerobics, Pilates and yoga classes when taught by a certified instructor, Weight Watchers® programs, and local town and school sports programs for all ages when they include an aerobic and instructional component. Aerobic activities for the whole family include: baseball, softball, soccer, football, dance classes, ski lessons, golf lessons, swimming lessons, tennis, sports camps.
- Naturally Well program offers discounts on acupuncture, massage therapy and chiropractic care.
- Nurse care specialists support members in need of more complex care by serving as their personal health advisor.
- Oh Baby! gives participants prenatal vitamins, a child care book, a convertible car seat and more!
- Tobacco Treatment Program helps members develop a stop-smoking plan and gives them the tools they need to succeed.
- With Nurse Connect, you get free access, by phone, to experienced registered nurses 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your health questions.
Call Customer Service at 1-800-868-5200 (TTY users please call TRS Relay 711), or visit the FCHP Web site fchp.org, for more information on these and other programs.